The Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Foundation (GDICF) offers a variety of classes, lectures, concerts and events to promote Irish culture and heritage in the Greater Danbury area. The classes listed below run in terms so it is recommended that you contact the teachers for details. The schools listed and the GDICC have websites and are on Facebook.
- Annual Greater Danbury Irish Festival. Three day Cultural Festival in Sept. featuring live performances of singer, dancers, storytellers and musicians as well as a céilí, cultural exhibits and workshops in music and dance. The focus is on families as no heritage can survive and flourish if it is not passed on to our children.
- Weekly Music Classes: Fiddle with Nora Hanley – Norahanley@yahoo.com. Whistle with Bill Devlin – firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Weekly Irish Language Classes: the Irish Gaelic Circle of CT holds Beginner and Intermediate levels (Zoom) at the Center. John Feeney, email@example.com or 203.417.1700. A Lá na Gaeilge Irish language Day is also held each spring.
- Irish Book Club: Meets monthly. Ellen McShane. 203.770.7221.
- Irish Film Series: Meets monthly. Ellen McShane. 203.770.7221.
- Weekly Set Dancing Classes (not Step Dancing). 203.739.0010.
- Traditional Music Seisiún. 1st Sunday of the month at 6 PM. Nora Hanley – Norahanley@yahoo.com.
- Step Dancing Classes: Thorne Academy of Irish Dance holds weekly classes at the Center. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- History Lectures as announced
- Concerts as announced.
- Celtic New Year Celebration: a candlelight ceremony to celebrate the Irish origins of Halloween. John Feeney, email@example.com or 203.417.1700.
- GDICF Irish Music TradFest: this event happens at the GDICC, with an exciting afternoon and evening of traditional acoustic Irish music and dance. The first TradFest, held on April 29, 2018, included performances by the Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance, the GDICC set dancing group, Fiddleuisce and the GDICC musicians, Sally & Damien Connolly, Chicks ‘n Sync, Dan Ringrose and Jeanne Freeman, and the Kerry Boys. Watch for information about our next TradFest, date to be determined!
Nora Hanley, leader of the GDICC seisiun, gives Irish fiddle lessons Saturday mornings at the center. A student of Brian Conway, she is grounded in the Irish musical tradition and has played at many sessions around NY and CT. Her classes always emphasize good basic technique. Students may begin lessons with Nora at any point – there are no specific starting dates for lessons. For additional information contact Nora at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the next session to discuss your musical goals.