The Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Foundation (GDICF) offers a variety of classes, lectures, concerts and events to promote Irish culture and heritage in the Greater Danbury area. The classes listed below run in terms so it is recommended that you contact the teachers for details. The schools listed and the GDICC have websites and are on Facebook.
- Join us for the Irish Gaelic Circle of Connecticut’s “Irish Language Day (Lá Na Gaeilge)“ on Saturday, April 28th – register now for the day. After the Lá Na Gaeilge, join us back at the GDICC for a “pop up Gaeltacht” – come for dinner and drinks any time after 6 PM, and join other Irish speakers in conversation!
- GDICC Irish Music TradFest: this event will be held on Sunday, April 29, 2018 at the GDICC, with an exciting afternoon and evening of traditional acoustic Irish music, including performances by Fiddleuisce and the GDICC musicians, Sally & Damien Connolly, Chicks ‘n Sync, Dan Ringrose and Jeanne Freeman, and the Kerry Boys. Dance demonstrations and sample lessons will be offered by the Ashurst Academy of Irish Dance, and the GDICC set dancing group. Admission is just $5 for adults, and food and drinks will be available. 50/50 raffle as well!
- Weekly Music Classes: Fiddle with Nora Hanley – Norahanley@yahoo.com. Whistle with Bill Devlin – email@example.com.
- Weekly Irish Language Classes: the Irish Gaelic Circle of CT holds Beginner and Intermediate levels (Zoom) at the Center. John Feeney, firstname.lastname@example.org or 203.417.1700. A Lá na Gaeilge Irish language Day is also scheduled for Saturday, April 28, 2018 at WestConn.
- Irish Book Club: Meets monthly. Ellen Shanley. 203.770.7221.
- Irish Film Series: Meets monthly. Ellen Shanley. 203.770.7221.
- Weekly Set Dancing Classes (not Step Dancing). 203.739.0010.
- Traditional Music Seisiún. 1st Sunday of the month at 6 PM. Nora Hanley – Norahanley@yahoo.com.
- Step Dancing Classes: Thorne Academy of Irish Dance holds weekly classes at the Center. Email: email@example.com
- History Lectures as announced
- Concerts as announced.
- Annual Greater Danbury Irish Festival. Three day Cultural Festival in Sept. featuring live performances of singer, dancers, storytellers and musicians as well as a céilí, cultural exhibits and workshops in music and dance. The focus is on families as no heritage can survive and flourish if it is not passed on to our children.
- Celtic New Year Celebration: a candlelight ceremony to celebrate the Irish origins of Halloween. John Feeney, firstname.lastname@example.org or 203.417.1700.
Nora Hanley, leader of the GDICC seisiun, gives Irish fiddle lessons Saturday mornings at the center. A student of Brian Conway, she is grounded in the Irish musical tradition and has played at many sessions around NY and CT. Her classes always emphasize good basic technique. Students may begin lessons with Nora at any point – there are no specific starting dates for lessons. For additional information contact Nora at email@example.com or stop by the next session to discuss your musical goals.