The Greater Danbury Irish Cultural Foundation (GDICF) offers a variety of classes, lectures, concerts and events to promote Irish culture and heritage in the Greater Danbury area. These are listed below:
- Weekly Music Classes: Fiddle. Nora Hanley. Norahanley@yahoo.com.
- Weekly Irish Language Classes: the Irish Gaelic Circle of CT holds Beginner and Intermediate levels (Skype) at the Center. John Feeney, email@example.com or 203.417.1700.
- Irish Book Club: Meets monthly. Ellen Shanley. 203.770.7221.
- Irish Film Series: Meets monthly. Ellen Shanley. 203.770.7221.
- Weekly Set Dancing Classes (not Step Dancing). 203.739.0010.
- Traditional Music Seisiún. 1st Sunday of the month at 6 PM. Nora Hanley
- Step Dancing Classes: Thorne Academy of Irish Dance holds weekly classes at the Center. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- History Lectures as announced
- Concerts as announced.
- Annual Greater Danbury Irish Festival. Three day Cultural Festival in Sept. featuring live performances of singer, dancers, storytellers and musicians as well as a céilí, cultural exhibits and workshops in music and dance. The focus is on families as no heritage can survive and flourish if it is not passed on to our children.
- Celtic New Year Celebration: a candlelight ceremony to celebrate the Irish origins of Halloween. John Feeney, email@example.com or 203.417.1700.
The classes run in terms so it is recommended that you contact the teachers for details. The schools listed and the GDICC have websites and are on Facebook.
Nora Hanley, leader of the GDICC seisiun, gives Irish fiddle lessons Saturday mornings at the center. A student of Brian Conway, she is grounded in the Irish musical tradition and has played at many sessions around NY and CT. Her classes always emphasize good basic technique. An eight week term will be starting April 21st at 10 AM for continuing students and at 11 AM for new students. For additional information contact Nora at firstname.lastname@example.org or stop by the next session to discuss your musical goals.